Friday, July 3, 2015

Independence Day

As the 4th of July rolls around again, I am excited but also filled with sadness this year. It has always been my favorite holiday. I love the music, the patriotism, and especially the fireworks.  It is also a time to reflect on our nation's founding and history. This is what causes me sorrow, to see how far our country has digressed since 1776. 

Over the years, Americans have been known to have a backbone, to be independent, and to stand up to tyranny. At times, we are referred to as the world's police force. I do not support the level of involvement we have in foreign affairs. However, the underlying philosophy of why we become involved in foreign affairs indicative of our culture, that we hate to see humans suffering or repressed. We are a country of liberty and freedom.  We do not want dictators that have the potential for world dominance. When we have been attacked ourself, our resolve for freedom and justice has been awaken. 

Our Founding Fathers desired to not live under an oppressive power that restricted God given rights and freedoms. They designed a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. The Constitution begins with the words, "We the People." It is not a government of elected officials, appointments, individuals, or special interests group.  America has been a melting pot, opening our doors to all with welcoming arms. 

With recent events, I feel for the first time, it is no longer as popular to be patriotic or celebrate what our country stands for. This saddens me. Despite all our problems, I have always had the belief that we are still the greatest nation in the world. But now I wonder. It seems as if anyone who is bothered or offended by something can remove that offensive item or policy if they just speak up. We have become a hypersensitive culture. This is wrong. It is impossible to appease and please every single person. Someone will always react to something. 

Our past leaders and Founding Fathers were men and women of integrity, honor, and they had a back bone. They stood up for what they believed was right and did not cave to others, no matter what the cost. They are the reason why we are the nation we are today. Those who do not know or understand history are likely to repeat it. 

So this Fourth of July, I will still proudly show my patriotism because I still believe somewhere, there is something left of the principles and freedoms our country was founded upon. I cannot and will not believe that the courage our Founding Fathers displayed is completely gone. I pray and hope for better days to come. With all its flaws, I still love my country. I am a proud American. Let us never forget the sacrifices of those who have gone before us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment