Monday, August 22, 2011

Book Review: Decision Points

I just finished President George W. Bush's memoirs this week and thought that maybe I would begin doing some book reviews on the political and history books I read (which accounts for most of my reading).

It only took me about seven months to read "Decision Points" compliments of being a full time college student (including summer).  It was an excellent read.  President Bush wrote it in a different format by focusing on many of the key decisions he had to make during his presidency which I found extremely engaging. Throughout the book, he works in times in his life growing up that influenced him when making  decisions as president.

I think I found his thoughts on the War on Terror most interesting since I have done a lot of reading and research myself on different aspects of it. At the end of the book he discussed the financial crisis facing our nation as he was leaving office, expressing his concerns for the future and well-being of the US if he had not acted in the way he did.

It gave me a far better appreciation of the position of president and what he must face.  I came away realizing how unfair it is for me to sit back and judge every decision President Bush made.  It is so easy in hindsight to say that he should or shouldn't have done something, but I was not sitting in the Oval office with the weight of the future of our nation on my shoulders at that exact moment attempting to make the best decision possible.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts! I haven't read it so I can't say much else...however, after reading this, I may try to find time to read it as I am now a bit curious! :) I hadn't planned to before -- I always feel like these sort of books are just a way to make money and defend actions, but perhaps his is different. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sar, If you still lived here, I'd lend you my copy. :)

    ReplyDelete