Monday, August 15, 2011

Iowa Straw Poll

This week was the first time that I ever paid attention to, and followed the Iowa Straw Poll.  I found it interesting, though I do not know enough about it to fully understand its significance in the long term scope of things. Michele Bachmann as winner was no surprise to me.  I excepted it, as did most the media. 

What I did find interesting was Ron Paul coming in second.  I really do not like the guy, never have and never will.  In the debate, his stance on foreign matters was so far left that I am surprise Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid did not come out in support of it. I also expected him not do well in the straw poll either because of those comments.  I am shocked at the number of duped American who support him.  Thankfully they are a small minority who only seem to show up at straw polls and are not large enough for him to win at a national level.

The other outcome that I found to be the most surprising and delightful of the day was Rick Perry. For someone who until the day of the straw poll was not an official candidate, had not previously been to Iowa, and was a write-in, he did extremely well. Especially considering that he ranked higher then Mitt Romney who is leading in the national polls.

The final interesting result to me was that Sarah Palin did not registrar in the rankings. I do realize that she has not stated her intentions one way or another as to her candidacy, but I did except some people to vote for her in hopes that it could cause her to run and to show their support.

3 comments:

  1. I was thrilled with Perry's performance of write-ins. I personally think he has the best chance of winning everyone's all-around support. I really like Bachmann but I'm afraid that she might not win against Obama.

    I personally don't think Palin is going to run this time. I hope she doesn't honestly. But she leaves just enough ambiguity that she may surprise me and jump in the race. Will be interesting to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting to have my doubts too that Bachmann can beat Obama. I thought she could when she first entered, but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea... I guess anything could happen, but I think the chances diminish at least.

    ReplyDelete