Friday, August 12, 2011

Iowa GOP Presidential Debate

I have been slacking the last couple of week in writing. Partially because I haven't felt like there was as much to write about, but mostly because I was busy preparing and doubling up on homework for the wedding of my best friend and "adopted" sister last weekend in Oregon in which I was a bridesmaid.

I spent my evening tonight like many other Americans, watching the GOP presidential debate. It was the first one of this presidential race that I had the chance to view. Overall, I felt it was good and very revealing as to where the candidates stand and their personality in the heat of a race. I felt the moderators could have done better at giving all candidates an equal amount of questions and time to talk. Chris Wallace's questions came across to me as seeking to stir up animosity between candidates. The debates are not to be about the candidates themselves, but about their views and stances in order enable the people to make an educated decision on who they feel is best able to represent our country in the White House.

Each of the candidates had some stellar and not so stellar moments.

Michele Bachmann - Frankly, I was not overly impressed with her tonight. Up until this point, she has been one of my favorites of the declared candidates. I felt that she was warding off a lot of attacks, that were more personal than policy. Thus, she was not able to express her stance as much as she needed to. Her performance was neutral for me.

Herman Cain - I like him a lot and he has many great points, especially regarding the economy and the private business sector. However, he has absolutely NO political experience at any level, thus, in today's age of politics, I feel that he is unqualified and would not make an excellent president. Again, I feel his performance tonight was neutral.

Newt Gingrich - If only he would just a tad bit more handsome. =) As the commentators afterwards mentioned, Newt had one of those memorable debate moments when he took Chris Wallace to task about the media coverage and "got 'em" questions. He was by far the strongest candidate tonight. His answers weren't about him, but about the country and how to turn it around. He gave honest, practical, real solutions to our problems. He was the winner of the debate, but I am afraid he can not win the national election.

Jon Hunstman - I feel like he is a wolf in sheep's clothing. He attempts to spout conservative rhetoric but I am afraid he is a moderate liberal. He is completely full of himself and his record and accomplishments. The fact that he worked under Obama in any capacity is an immediate red flag for me (and he wasn't a hold over from Bush either). He gave no real solutions. All he could say is "I am proud........." He was a loser tonight.

Ron Paul - Another candidate who is filled with his own ambitions and rhetoric. He is a has been. It seems that every election cycle he enters just to voice his isolationist opinions. He is wrong on most of what he says.He claims to be the voice of liberty and constitutionalism but does not seem to have any understanding as to the real desires and motivating factors of our Founding Fathers and what the Constitution means. Every now and then he has a good point, like the broken clock which is right only twice a day. He needs to drop out for the sake of everyone else. He was even quite rude to Santorum at one point, not shutting up himself, yet not allowing Santorum to voice his thoughts. He also was a loser tonight.

Tim Pawlenty - And the final loser, not because of his policy like the other two, but his attitude. He attacked Michele Bachmann in an extremely unprofessional manner going almost after her as a person and tearing down her record and stances left and right. Any time he could slip in an attack at another candidate, he did. He appeared to be desperately holding on by any means possible. Plus, he was wrong on numerous policies stances, such as the 10th Amendment, implying that states could pass whatever laws they deemed fit.

Mitt Romney - A little too moderate for me, but was the most presidential of all candidates tonight. He was cool, calm, and collective, not allowing attacks by others to get to him. He did have some great points. At one point he defended his controversial mandated health care law, which, he is right on that the Massachusetts Constitution did give him the authority to pass it. I feel that his religious beliefs are a hindrances to him winning the election. He was definitely a winner as well though.

Rick Santorum -I felt sorry for him because he was not getting as many questions or the opportunity to speak as much as the other candidates. However, when he was given the opportunity, I really appreciated what he had to say. For me, his stellar moment came when he was discussing the 10th Amendment of the Constitution, which states that any powers not directly given to the federal government are reserved for the states. Many people take that to mean that the states can pass whatever law they desire. Santorum made an excellent point however, that our nation and Constitution were founded on Biblical principles and thus, if a state seeks to pass a law that violates the Bible, then it is wrong and should not be allowed. His performance was a plus for me.

Overall, I was very much impressed with the candidates. I wish Rick Perry and Sarah Palin had been part of this debate. I would have enjoyed hearing their thoughts on the different issues, particularly Perry. Romney and Gingrich were a close tie for winner, but I think in the end I'd have to give it to Gingrich.

At this point in the race I do know who I will not support (Pawlenty, Hunstman, Cain, and Paul). Still analyzing the other candidates as to who I feel is best qualified and electable. As you consider who you will support and vote for, don't just take what the news stations, websites, blogs, radio talk show hosts, etc., say about a particular candidate, but research them for yourself. Listen to when they are interviewed live. That is the best way to know each one of them so that you can make an educated choice.

6 comments:

  1. I don't like how Pawlenty attacked Bachmann, but I have to admit, he is still my favorite candidate. I wish Paul Ryan would run. :P

    Will NOT support Gingrich (absolutely NOT...I don't think I could even support him if he was picked to run against Obama).

    I don't like Huntsman. I like Cain a lot, but as you said, he doesn't have the experience.

    I like Paul on the economic issues -- especially going back to the gold standard. I do not like his foreign policy as much, but it might be best for America at this time. I go back and forth on him. Economically though, I have to say I'm impressed.

    I would vote for Romney IF he was chosen as the Republican to run against Obama. Up until then, absolutely not. He instituted higher taxes as well as Romneycare in Massachusetts -- the healthcare Obama modeled his off of for America. I know he says he regrets that, and he may be very sincere. But he's done nothing but speak to prove that. So I would really struggle to support him. He is also not as socially conservative as I would like.

    Not a huge fan of Rick Santorum. Never have been.... I always feel like he is hiding something. However if he was chosen to run against Obama, he would unquestionably get my vote.

    I love Bachmann, but I honestly don't think she can win. I think people will attack her too personally, and I think it would hand the election to Obama. I would, quite honestly, love to see her as a VP pick... I think at this point in time she can't win the overall presidential election though. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm also note sure if a woman would be able to effectively lead in the same way a man can. That probably sounds sexist, but just Biblically, I'm not sure it would be as effective.

    I would be curious how Rick Perry changes the roundup. I am interested in supporting him, but I want to look into him more. I will not vote for Sarah Palin and I hope she does not run. I love seeing her right where she is -- motivating the Tea Party, campaigning, and just standing up for the values of this country. I don't think she would make a good leader, and after quitting the Alaska governorship (even though I totally understand her reasons for it) I don't think she could ever win the general election.

    Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to clarify, btw, that I do not think I could/would support Paul. However, on economics, I think he has some solid ideas.

    Oh, and, I TOTALLY agree that everyone should make their own judgments on each candidate, do their research, watch interviews, etc. However, I think some analysis can be good, too. I found these three articles interest. The first are from RedState - my favorite political blog to read. I think they have some interesting points and for the most part, I do agree with them. For instance, on the second one, I do NOT agree that Palin can win.

    http://www.redstate.com/erick/2011/08/12/the-horserace-for-august-12-2011/

    http://www.redstate.com/melissaclouthier/2011/08/11/presidential-primary-priorities/

    http://www.redstate.com/repair_man_jack/2011/08/11/you-know-the-left-truly-fears-a-gop-candidate-when%E2%80%A6/

    I also thought this analysis and ad from Tim Pawlenty yielded some interesting tactics. It is hard hitting, yet also doesn't attack personally -- just politically. Which I personally find very refreshing.

    http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2011/08/experience-matters.php

    Just some interesting tidbits I've been reading this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more interesting commentary....
    http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2011/08/cruel-thought-on-a-weak-field.php

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts. I will vote for whoever the GOP nominates, but I'd like to be able to vote FOR them versus AGAINST Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read the links you posted. They were excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree. It will vote just against Obama. But I am with you -- I REALLY want to be able to vote FOR the person! Hopefully we'll get a good person for the Republican nominee!!!

    ReplyDelete