Tuesday, July 12, 2011

All-Star Break

I love watching the All-Star Game festivities for it is a time to see players relax and truly have fun, while putting aside for the most part, team rivalries. The rivalry during this week is between leagues not teams. So for one time during the year I root for Boston and all American League players, not just my Yankees. It is a time to watch the legends of baseball mingle with the stars of today. Tomorrow night I will be camped out watching the game with the person who gave me my love of baseball and taught me all I know -- my Dad.

For me this year is sort of bitter-sweet. The All-Star game is being held in Phoenix where my grandpa lived later in life. He is the reason I am a Yankee fan. My grandpa grew up in Brooklyn, New York, and as a little boy watched Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and the rest of the great Yankees during the 20's and 30's from the right field bleachers of Yankee Stadium, when a double header cost 25 cents. If he were still alive, I'd hope to be in Phoenix watching the game with Grandpa and my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment